Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Lots of sightings...not a lot of results

Well it's been really busy over the last few weeks so I haven't had time to post about my adventures.  This new hunting spot that I've been sitting on has had it's ups and downs.  Towards the beginning of Oct. I could sit out there and see all kinds of deer.  Mainly in the afternoon hours...which is strange because it was quite warm.  I think they really liked the acorns that were scattered all around the area.  I was up in my treestand (about 25ft high) and I had a buck walk around me and at one point right underneath me.  Unfortunately my aim was off with my bow and I missed not once, but twice.  It's a learning experience and I'm getting better as I go.  Now that those acorns have dried up however I haven't really seen much activity in the area so I'm thinking it's time to relocate.  We are just starting to get into "the rut" where bucks start chasing after does to mate. 

I have one more Saturday of bow hunting planned before the state-land shotgun season starts and I plan to make the most of it.  I'll probably go out early to make sure I get the parking spot that I want and then walk in slowly trying to be as quiet as possible.  If I don't see anything by say 9:30am then I'll get down out of my tree and start looking around for rut activity. 

During the "rut" bucks start rubbing their antlers against trees to mark them and remove any velvet they may still have on their antlers.  Below is an example of a typical tree rubs along with an idea of how it got there.

Deer RubIn addition, I'll look for any ground scrapes that might be in the area.  These are places where whitetail tear up the ground, removing leaves and making it very apparent that something big was there.  They will typically relieve themselves in these scrapes in an effort to attract mates to the area.  Potential mates may also relieve themselves in these scrapes to let the bucks know they're around.

Tracking deer is one of those arts that really get developed over time.  Deer population and hunting pressure also create an increased challenge to locating the deer in the area.  When all else fails...there always just plain old luck.

If I come across anything on my scouting mission or if I happen to come across some whitetail this weekend I'll be sure to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment